Sunday, November 15, 2015

Mad for Plaid, Simplicity 1465

Simplicity 1465

Pattern:
Simplicity 1465, View C
This is my favorite straight skirt pattern.  Nothing too special about it, front and back with a single dart at the waist.  My dart is a few inches shorter than the pattern's dart, but it fits me perfect.

Fabric:
Brown, tan, and green cotton woven that loved to stretch from my stash.
(Wish I would have quilted the fabric to the underlining.)
Cotton lawn underlining.
Brown poly lining.
Rayon Petersham ribbon at the waist.

Construction:
I am in love with an "almost" couture skirt.
("Almost" due to my use of a serger for the seams of the lining.)

I trace the pattern pieces onto the interlining fabric with wax paper.
Thread trace the pattern pieces onto the fashion fabric.
Leave 1" seam allowances.
Hand baste all the seams.
Machine sew all the seams.
Hand pick the zipper.
Add the lining.
Add the Petersham ribbon for the waistband.
Hem the skirt.

All the hand stitching helps match all the plaids.
The skirt was used as a sample for a quick hand-picked zipper class I taught for Midnight Oil Smockers in Sugar Land.
The comfort of a Petersham ribbon waistband is unbelievable.  




Plaids match and the zipper is almost invisible.


Zipper is hidden in the plaid.

Petersham waistband.

Hand stitched hemline. 
The moral of this story..... I need a skirt like this in every color.

2 comments: