Sunday, October 12, 2014

Fast Sewing for Fall, Simplicity 1716 and New Look 6288

Autumn is upon us in the South.  We know it because the temperature has fallen to 80 degrees!!!
Just kidding!  It is a welcome relief to see something lower than 90 degrees after months of heat.

I whipped up something fast to wear for the new weather.

Simplicity 1716

Patterns
Top - Simplicity 1716, View F
Skirt - New Look 6288, View A with a few modifications

Fabric
Top - geometric ITY jersey print from High Fashion Fabrics
Skirt - black rayon double knit from High Fashion Fabrics

Fitting on Top
It is easy to see why this top is a Pattern Review Top Pattern of the Year, it is a great sew!!!
When I compared my sloper to this top, I found the front to be way too long and my one seriously slopping shoulder needed to be addressed.  I know from experience that I need a FBA, even on a knit.

My fitting changes to Simplicity 1716

So, this is the front pattern piece.  I added 1/2" to each side seam to add a little extra room for the FBA.  The left side (right on me) shows where I lowered the shoulder.  You can also see where I overlapped the extra height across the width of the pattern.  I don't like taking out in the armhole, but the waist to underarm seam was good for this top, so it came out at a higher spot.

After the pattern changes were done, this top went together in about an hour.  Very easy and enjoyable sew!!!


Back vent added to New Look 6288

Pattern Changes to the Skirt
I wanted a fitted black knit skirt.  Not the skin tight versions, but a flattering one for my age.  In all the skirt patterns I own, none fit the design I had in mind.  So, I designed my own.
I started with New Look 6288, View A.
1.  Shortened it to just below the knee.
2.  Tapered the side seams in from mid thigh to hem.
3.  Added a back vent for walking ease.

Totally happy with the results!!!
Bring on the cold weather!!!
Side view of Simplicity 1716
Love the cowl neckline!  Can you tell my shoulders are uneven?  This top is a great disguise.

Great fall outfit!



1 comment: